Don’t get out of bed yet! The first few moments of waking are a critical time, an opportunity to set the tone and tenor of your entire day. Close your eyes, watch your breath, and tell yourself something positive. Think of it as a secular, science-based morning prayer: rather than appealing to a higher power to guide you through the day, appeal to your higher self.
Self-talk determines self-perception, so it is important to consciously and wisely choose the way we speak to ourselves. According to the latest research, affirmations are most effective in the second person, so here is a list of positive phrases to repeat to yourself upon waking.
1. You are feeling healthy and strong. You are going to feel great all day.
2. You have everything you need to make this a great day in your life.
3. You have everything you need to approach whatever challenges the day brings.
4. You are a smart and capable person. You will trust your inner wisdom to guide you through the day.
5. You have so many wonderful things in your life. You are happy and content with what you have.
6. You are patient and calm, and you greet the day with ease.
7. You are filled with gratitude for another day on this earth.
8. Today is a new day, and each new day presents a fresh start for you to live the life you want.
9. Each new day offers a new beginning overflowing with possibility and opportunity.
10. You approach the day with deep gratitude for life, and you spread your positive energy wherever you go.
A positive affirmation is a personal thing, and these are merely suggestions. Customize your own affirmation, a statement that is aspirational and inspirational. Whether you believe the affirmation to be true is irrelevant, for it is through the power of intention and repetition that it becomes true.
As the Buddha said: “We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts. With our thoughts, we make the world.”